Broad area evaluation of land suitable for CSG water irrigation
- Client: Confidential Client
Broad area evaluation of over 1.3 million ha for suitability for irrigation development including:
- Development of system for classification of CSG irrigation potential
- Desktop review of natural resource information
- Drive-by suitability assessment and land classification
- Production of map product identifying target areas for more detailed investigation
The Client required a rapid assessment (within 1 month) of soils of an area covering 1.3 million ha to evaluate the opportunity for irrigated forest and fodder crop development within its areas of operation.
Verterra developed a simple land classification matrix and equipped highly experienced staff with mobile GIS to allow prpoerties tinspected to be calssified and mapped in the field. By understanding trends across the landscape, unsatisfactory and satisfactory soils were rapidly identified. the field component of the work was completed in two weeks. Subsequent detailed studies confirmed a high level of accuracy.
Benefit to Client:
By applying an appropriate level of assessment, the project was able to rapidly (within 2 weeks) assess over 1.3 million ha and identify and classify 11 zones of interest for more detailed investigation, a task that would typically take many months by conventional approaches. The project allowed the client to rapidly progress to the next stage of land assessment with a high level of confidence at minimal cost.
- Market Sector: Oil and Gas
- Irrigated forest & fodder crops for beneficial use of waste water
- Soil surveying and land capability assessment
- General land, water and vegetation technical services
- Location: Queensland
- Year: 2009